Written by @olsonwells
I came across a recent purchase of Judas Priest’s Sin after Sin while browsing through the piles of vinyl sleeves that lie round our house (yes, in ordered piles and on shelves).
Metalheads love this sort of music, and I’m not sure where my taste lies yet in that regard, but I sure do LOVE the vinyl cover art by Ros?aw Szaybo (allegedly).
Sometimes referred to as packaging, sometimes art direction, the design skill that this artist employs is focussed, heavy and mythical!
I did some research (more than Wikipedia) and found out these FAQs about Ros?aw Szaybo and the album creation:
- Polish and still alive apparently. Born 1933, he would have been a perfect age to capitalise on commercial opportunities for bands needing trained painters, photographers and/or cover designers (which he was all three).
- Moved to the UK in 1966 and worked at Young and Rubicam freelance while building his contacts.
- 1972 – CBS chief artistic director. Designed OVER 2000 covers, mostly for classical music (see, there is always a connection!), but also for Santana and The Clash.
- Also designed Judas Priest’s British Steel album cover art
- What is he doing now? See this